‘Forget-Me-Not’ Goes Free and is Saved From App Store Delisting By Mysterious Benefactor – Touch Arcade




Last night in our deals forum a TouchArcade community member posted that the fantastic Forget-Me-Not [Free] had gone free for… Mysterious reasons. Well, doing a bit more digging revealed that this originally was a last-change fire sale as Nyarlu Labs wasn’t planning on renewing their Apple developer account. As they put it, “hey =) my iOS app store license thing expires on April 10th and i’m not gonna renew it right away, so my games will disappear – download em now if you want to keep them around!”

They continue to explain that the game hasn’t been updated in years, but should still work on everything. The original plan was that the game might return when the “Brand-new one” is finished (which hopefully means a sequel). However, at some point between when I mentally bookmarked this to write about and this morning, the following update had been added to the blog post:

update: a lovely friend has actually offered to help me pay for the license, so the game will be sticking around after all. cool! it’s staying free forever though.. ’tis an old game now and deserves to live out its days in peace

Subscribe to the TouchArcade YouTube channel

We reviewed Forget-Me-Not back in 2011, and aptly describe it as the “magical lovechild of PAC-Man and Rogue. That description still feels spot on today. It’s cool that the game is sticking around, but the larger issue at hand is still sort of a bummer here- As soon as you don’t feel like paying Apple $99 a year for your developer license, all your iOS games disappear. It leaves paying customers out in the cold, but worse yet, blasts a hole in iOS gaming history. Had Forget-Me-Not not been saved, and you randomly heard of it a few months from now, too bad.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the various jailbreak repositories that iOS game pirates use won’t eventually end up being unintentional museums for classic iOS gaming? It’s a weird thought, but particularly as Apple has actually moved further and further from abstracting being able to back any individual things up, it’s strangely leaving things like that as the only remaining viable option when it comes to playing iOS “abandonware.” …Although, even calling something that came out a few years ago abandonware feels weird. But, I digress.

Consider this a fantastic reminder to download Forget-Me-Not, and to whoever tossed out the Benjamin to keep the game on the App Store for another year, you’re the best.













  • http://aggromagnetgames.com/ Aggro Magnet Games


    I’ve been going back-and-forth as well with myself over the chance of just making Vigil RPG free as well. No ads, no IAP, no donation button, just straight-up free. Right now the game’s sales are barely covering the cost of keeping it on the App Store. So I’ve been asking myself, am I willing to cover the US $99/year myself in exchange for (probably) letting a lot more people experience the game?





    • Hoodin


      That’s an interesting cost/value proposition. I wonder if there are other instances of people benefiting from the exposure. Something tells me if you have another project in the works, it could be a great idea. But that’s just my gut talking, not any actual business acumen.





      • http://aggromagnetgames.com/ Aggro Magnet Games


        Yep — a lot of developers tend to discount their old game to generate buzz just before releasing their Brand-new one. I’ve got nothing in the pipeline at the moment, though. Vigil RPG was the game that I wanted to play which was missing from the App Store, so I made it myself, and for now I’m all set! Since I’m not getting rich from it, though (or even making a living — or even making minimum wage — or even making $1/day), I’m asking myself, why not just let more people play it?





      • garbui


        That takes a lot of courage and guts to make something that YOU like in the hopes that others will dig it. It may not be Angry Birds but major props to you and all other game devs who put their heart into something for little monetary return!





    • curtneedsaride


      I’d recommend always leaving a donate button on a game. It let’s people express their appreciation in a way that could only help you… well, and Apple. I guess you could just put in a Patreon link instead. 😉





  • graham


    Glad to hear it’s not vanishing. When Pac Man 256 came out I was reminded of Forget Me Not – so I fired it up and played the heck out of it again for the first time in years. Hate to lose access to great games.





    • graham


      Tomb of The Mask seems to share some DNA as well. Looking forward to whatever Nyarlu Labs does next!





  • toofinedog


    This was pretty much the first game I downloaded back when I first got an iPhone. I still have it on my current phone and played it last week or so. Awesome game.





  • Hoodin


    That could be my favourite icon in the app store!





  • http://adamsimmersive.com Adams Immersive


    Glad to see an iCade classic live on!

    Apple really needs some kind of free “archival mode” account or something. Say if you’ve paid for an account three times, they’ll no longer charge you more than your earnings. So if you have zero sales you can stay for free. If you have $100 earnings you can keep a buck. Maybe require you to respond yearly to an inquiry, does your app still run? (So dead clutter doesn’t just pile up from devs who don’t even exist.)





    • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


      YES YES YES!
      superzapper recharge
      That would certainly be great.

      Right now, you can’t even get apps off an old device into a modern version of iTunes, because they expect you to download it from the store. That’s fine for actively supported “living” games, but one-off retro style things that were perfect on the first release?

      Apple should at least keep them for paying customers so we can fetch them from iCloud. How numerous old games need to wither and die before the ecosystem cares?





      • http://adamsimmersive.com Adams Immersive


        There actually is already the ability to RE-download past downloads even after being gone from the store. (Unless the developer chooses otherwise, or there’s some legal issue, malware, whatever.) And I haven’t had a problem transferring apps from device to iTunes via USB sync. But I’d still like a way to have Brand-new people enjoy great apps that are simply not money-makers.





      • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


        I don’t think that’s true if the developer allows their developer account to expire. The Llamasoft games, for example, aren’t there anymore.





      • http://www.gingerbeardman.com gingerbeardman


        I think Jeff actively took them down. I’ve had my membership expire and 2 months later my apps were still there (at which time I renewed)





      • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


        I don’t think so…I’ve been following his Twitter and he’s pretty bitter about the whole App Store experience and doesn’t have a Mac anymore. I consider them abandoned, not withdrawn.





      • http://adamsimmersive.com Adams Immersive


        What ginger means is that the developer chose not to allow redownloads. Apple DOES have the feature (Purchase History) to allow redownloads even after something is gone from he store. (Last October there was a minor hullabaloo here when people incorrectly believed that ability was gone.) But developers can choose not to allow that.





      • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


        Yes, I get it. There are two different issues:

        Redownloading past purchases is great for old customers.

        Staying in the store is the only way to get Brand-new ones

        Both groups of people are important, in my opinion.

        Just to restate: FMN is a great game and everyone should play it. It’s a dream with physical controls, like a long lost 1982 arcade game.





      • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


        Someone is asking him on Twitter, let’s see what he says — if anything, since he doesn’t seem to like to talk about iOS except in terms of “returning to the scene of a mugging.”

        I wonder if things could have been different if he had a publisher to help with publicity and stuff. Crescent Moon Games seems like a good fit for 80s style nostalgia trips, for example.





      • Tallgeese


        Haha, how suspenseful! The digital butler company did it!





  • http://facebook.com/jorelplay JorelPlay


    Why to remove an app if the developer doesn’t pay?





    • http://toucharcade.com Eli Hodapp


      Apple’s store, Apple’s rules.





      • Tallgeese


        I could be wrong but I think it has actually something to do with money… And how Apple wants it and doesn’t really care about games except as an income stream.





  • ValentiaLyra


    What a really cool thing for someone to do. Kudos, unknown benefactor!





  • http://www.googlepants.com/ Wizard of Odyssey


    This is a good thing. I wish Llamasoft would certainly do the same, or release their stuff to Github so we can re-compile it ourselves.

    Forget Me Not is a great game.





  • Tallgeese


    Thank you, Bruce! Sorry your Brand-new movie was bad but you still gots that sweet trilogy!





  • http://facebook.com/Gnomium Retrodigio


    I’ve said it before. Forget-me-not is still #1 on my list of iOS games. it’s that good, especially 2-player. This really should have been an 80’s arcade game. It’s hard to release high-quality games on iOS and see them not get the attention they deserve, or generate the revenue required to continue funding creative indie devs.





    • Golan Klinger


      I couldn’t agree more. Forget-me-not, Sword of Fargoal and Drop7 are in a three way tie as my favourite iOS games. Honestly, I’d be quite content even if those were the only games I had on my iPhone.





      • http://facebook.com/Gnomium Retrodigio


        Ah Sword of Fargoal! Yes, excellent, also in my top 5.





  • paulkane


    FNM was saved! ❤️💛💚💙💜 Happy grindin’ and squishin’ everyone!





  • garbui


    Thanks for covering this and other iOS “end-of-life” issues. I want to share iOS gaming history with my kids but that dream seems more tenuous each passing day…





  • garbui


    Not to mention, since iOS 9 we are now unable to transfer purchased apps through iTunes. Which means that even if you download a game like this before it gets pulled, MAKE SURE you have Automatic Downloads on your PC or Mac at home. Having it just on your iOS 9 device will not do you any good, if you buy a Brand-new device or need to restore using iCloud backup. If it’s not on the App Store anymore and it’s only on your phone, you’re finished…

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267





  • Shkrbby


    Thanks be to the mystery donor. Great game.





  • https://www.facebook.com/rossmanbrothersgames RossmanBrosGames


    Pretty fitting story given the name of the game. Downloaded it and really enjoying playing it.





Subscribe to receive free email updates:

0 Response to "‘Forget-Me-Not’ Goes Free and is Saved From App Store Delisting By Mysterious Benefactor – Touch Arcade"